Skip to main content

Social Change and Community Empowerment


“
Social change

A process that can build individual mastery and collective cultural capacity while contributing to positive social change. Social empowerment is a type of social change that involves enabling individuals and communities, especially marginalized groups, to fully participate in social, economic, and political life. It aims to create an inclusive society where everyone has equal opportunities to succeed. Social empowerment can involve promoting social inclusion, equal rights and opportunities, and challenging social norms and prejudices that perpetuate discrimination and exclusion.

Community empowerment and social change are related concepts that involve giving people the tools and confidence to take control of their lives and communities:

Community empowerment

A process where people work together to gain more power and influence over what affects them. It involves community ownership and action that aims for social and political change. Community empowerment can help to rebalance power between communities and governments, and build trust between communities and public bodies. It can also help people do things for themselves and take control of decisions that affect their lives.”




Social Change and Community Empowerment. Digital art created on canvas. August 5, 2024. Afrika Abney


The red background of this artwork serves as a powerful symbol of strength and determination, perfectly complementing the message of community empowerment and social change. The boldness of the red draws the viewer in, setting the tone for the impactful message conveyed by the piece. The color red has long been associated with qualities such as courage, passion, and energy, making it an ideal choice for a piece that aims to inspire and motivate individuals to come together for positive change.



The concept of community empowerment is at the heart of this artwork, emphasizing the significance of collective action and unity in creating meaningful change. The red background symbolizes the strength and solidarity that can be achieved when people work together to address social issues and improve their communities. It serves as a visual representation of the power that comes from individuals taking ownership of their circumstances and working towards a common goal.



In addition to community empowerment, the artwork also addresses the need for social change and the creation of a more inclusive and equal society. The red background conveys the passion and determination required to challenge societal norms and prejudices, advocating for a more just and equitable world. Through its bold and vibrant presence, the red background reinforces the urgency and importance of striving for a society where everyone is valued and included.


As a native Washingtonian and proud graduate of the prestigious Corcoran School of the Arts, I have dedicated my career to providing unparalleled services to a diverse range of clients in the arts and entertainment industry. From artists and nonprofits to small businesses and community centers, I have had the privilege of working with esteemed organizations and individuals such as Esther Productions, Inc, Ralph Nader, and the DC Coalition for Housing and Justice.


My mission is simple yet powerful - to use art as a tool for social change and community empowerment. Through my work in art curation, gallery operations, social media marketing, graphic design, and program administration, I have consistently strived to make a positive impact on those around me.


With over 25 years of experience in the field, I have received numerous grants and awards for my contributions to the arts. My background in dance instruction and arts education has further enriched my ability to connect with audiences and inspire change through creative expression.


Some of my proudest accomplishments include exhibiting my artwork at renowned galleries along the East Coast such as Emma Mae Gallery and The New Harlem Gallery. I have also had the privilege of working with esteemed organizations like The Phillips Collection and The Corcoran Gallery of Art.


Some of my educational institutions were NationHouse, Capitol Hill Arts Workshop, and Corcoran School of the Arts where I studied African dance and visual arts.

Popular posts from this blog

Simple White

    The necessity for acquiring whiteboards has diminished for me, as I ceased offering educational services back in 2018. Since that time, my focus has shifted entirely. I have been working on my branding and digital art where I utilize various digital applications to express my creativity. In this context, the color white serves a significant purpose, often representing simplicity and clarity in my artistic endeavors.    “The concept of Simple White embodies the essence of minimalism, where the purity of the color white acts as an open canvas for creativity and innovation, allowing ideas to flourish without the distractions of complexity. The color white encourages a harmonious balance between creativity and tranquility.”

The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene

  “The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene serves as a catalyst for cultural dialogue and social commentary. Writers often address pressing issues through their work, reflecting the complexities of urban life and the diverse experiences of the city's inhabitants. This literary engagement not only captivates audiences but also inspires action and awareness around various social topics. As the art scene continues to evolve, the integration of literary forms with other artistic expressions promises to further enrich the cultural landscape, making Washington, D.C. a significant hub for artistic innovation and collaboration.” Join Mr. Miller, Ms. Ayala and Mr. Gilmore at Tenley on September 14th. For those interested in learning more about this literary event, please feel free to reach out via email at midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com. Additional details can also be found on the official website of Esther Productions, Inc. at the provided link - https://www.est...

Energetic Canvas

  Energetic Canvas. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney  My attention is firmly directed towards my own endeavors.Rather than dwelling on what has transpired in the past, I choose to channel my energy into the present. This approach allows me to cultivate a mindset that prioritizes my projects ensuring that I remain productive and engaged in my work. I find that my focus is best spent on my own initiatives, rather than being sidetracked. The past holds no sway over my current mindset; instead, I am dedicated to advancing my own goals. By concentrating on the services I provide, I can maintain a clear vision of what I want to achieve and how I can best serve my client. I am committed to nurturing my projects and honing the services I offer, which allows me to create a meaningful impact.

Interpretations or meanings

  I am not playing mind games with anyone.I have made it abundantly clear that I am no longer in the role of a student. I was a student from 1978 - 1997 and I will not accept being treated as one. With over three decades of experience providing consulting services, I have established my identity in this field, and I kindly ask that you cease any actions that undermine that status. It is essential for you to understand the importance of respecting my professional journey. I have dedicated many years to honing my craft and building a reputation that reflects my expertise. Therefore, I urge you to take a moment to review the content I have shared and refrain from searching for interpretations or meanings that simply do not exist in my writings or on my blog. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate your understanding.

Djimo Kouyate

  Commissioned Photography for Baba Djimo Kouyate Smithsonian Folklife Festival, 1997, Washington, DC Photograph by Ms. Afrika Abney   "Djimo Kouyaté (August 16, 1946 - August 1, 2004). Djimo Kouyate was from the Malinké tribe, a sub-group of the Mandingo people. Born in Tambacounda, Senegal, he was from a distinguished family of griots who trace their ancestry back to the thirteenth century. A master kora player and a fine singer and dancer, Djimo also played a variety of other instruments including balafon (wooden xylophone), drums, and other string instruments. He worked with the Senegalese National Ballet as a singer and dancer since 1960, and was a founding member of the National Instrumental Ensemble of Senegal."

Dr. Rose Shelton - IT TAKES TWO…MAYBE MORE: Blended Families

  THE NATIONAL RECONCILIATION WEEK June 6-10,2022 12:00PM   - 1:30PM ONLINE EVENT June 9—12:50 pm- IT TAKES TWO…MAYBE MORE: Blended Families   Rose Shelton, PhD, NCC, LCPC, C.Ht, co-leads with Carmen Haskins on June 9, 2022, IT TAKES TWO…MAYBE MORE: Blended Families, which focuses on reconciliation for families. Dr. Rose is a licensed and nationally certified professional counselor. She holds an MBA in International Relations, a master’s in clinical mental health counseling, and a PhD in counselor education and supervision from Capella University with a focus in multicultural theory and social justice advocacy competency. This is Dr. Rose’s second appearance at The National Reconciliation Week. Certified in hypnotherapy and addictions counseling, Dr. Rose uses a number of approaches from Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Humanistic Therapy, Psychodynamics to Hypnosis to assist client’s in working through current conflicts in life and bringing about th...

Autumnal Expressions

      Autumnal Expressions. Digital art created on canvas. September 29, 2024. Afrika Abney “Autumnal Expressions encapsulate the essence of the fall season, a time when nature undergoes a remarkable transformation. As the days grow shorter and temperatures begin to drop, the landscape is painted in dark brown, deep dark brown, deep red and deep magenta.This seasonal shift not only affects the environment but also evokes a range of emotions and reflections. The beauty of autumnal expressions lies not only in the visual splendor of the season but also in the deeper meanings and emotions it inspires in creativity and productivity.”

Daily Routine and Commitment

    Quote found on the Internet  My daily routine is characterized by a high level of productivity, as I consistently engage in various activities that keep me occupied throughout the day. My focus is primarily on branding, the creation of digital art, and offering a range of services. This commitment to my work ensures that I remain fully immersed in my own work and services, allowing me to maximize my creative output and maintain a steady workflow. As I work from home, I find myself deeply engrossed in utilizing my digital palette and selecting an array of colors to produce my digital art. There is nothing mentioned in my blog posts about relationships. Please take the time to read. Thank you 

Unity in Motion

  Unity in Motion. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney   As I engage in the act of blending, my hands move in a graceful circular motion with creativity. The vibrant colors swirl together, merging seamlessly to form a beautiful spectrum that radiates energy and life. This circular movement not only serves to mix the hues but also embodies a deeper meaning, representing the harmony and unity that can be achieved when diverse elements come together in perfect balance. With each deliberate motion, my hands create a rhythmic circle, a visual representation of the artistic process unfolding before me. This circular pattern is more than just a technique; it symbolizes the interconnectedness of all things. The act of blending becomes a meditative experience as my hands trace a continuous circle, inviting the colors to mingle and transform. Each vibrant hue contributes its unique essence, and together they form a cohesive whole that is both striking and h...

Black Friday Weekend - BZB Gift Show 2022

  30th Annual BZB Shop til Ya Drop! NOV 25-26th Black Friday & Saturday Shiloh Baptist Church 1510 9th Street NW(9th & P Sts) Washington DC 20001 https://bzbinternational.com/ https://www. washingtoninformer.com/d-c-s- busy-bee-to-reopen-holiday- shopping-extravaganza-after- two-year-hiatus/ https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ shop-bzb-black-friday- saturday-tickets-467879559357 Janice Ferebee, MSW,  is an internationally recognized speaker, author, global female empowerment expert, and elected official, with a Master of Social Work from the University of Pennsylvania's School of Social Policy & Practice (SP2). She is the founder & Chief Woman Warrior (CWW) of Ferebee Enterprises International, LLC, a global female empowerment social enterprise.  With over 40 years' expertise, Janice has the distinction of being recognized by  BET Teen Summit ,  The Oprah Winfrey Show  and  ESSENCE Magazine ,  for her award-winning GOT IT GOIN' ON® (GIGO...