Skip to main content

Passion for Painting and Poetry Events





Quote found on the Internet


Dynamic and dedicated creative professional with extensive experience in orchestrating impactful poetry and painting events. Committed to inspiring and uplifting individuals through the fusion of artistic expression, I have successfully collaborated on notable projects such as "Sip, Paint and Reflect" and "Kaleidoscope: Women of Color Reflection on Life." My artistic talents are showcased through my abstract paintings, including the esteemed "Summer Blossoms," featured on the cover of a prominent literary work. With a strong background in community engagement and event hosting in the Washington, DC area, I have facilitated diverse programming, including poetry readings and workshops, to promote vibrant literary culture. A proven track record of securing funding for innovative initiatives underscores my dedication to fostering creativity and enhancing literary skills in youth. Passionate about promoting diverse voices and creating meaningful experiences, I thrive on bringing communities together through the transformative power of art and words.


SELECTED EXPERIENCES


Guest Host. Summer is Magic Artist's Reception. The Martin Luther King Memorial Library, Washington, DC. July 17, 2003


Guest Host. The Poets Den (Kaffa House), Washington, DC. July 26, 2001


"A Night of Poetry". The Market Five Gallery, Washington, D.C.. Oct 26, 2002



Guest Host. Word of Mouth. Bossa Bistro Lounge, Washington, DC. March 13, 2003


Guest Host for “Open Mic”. John Nelson Gallery, Maryland. November 8, 2003


Guest Host. A Night of Poetry. Trinity College, Cullivy Lounge, Washington, DC. February 19, 2004


Host. 1st Thursday Poetry Open Mic Fest sponsored by Cultural Development Corporation and Starbucks, managed by Desho Productions. 2001 - 2002


Coordinator. Open Mic.Islander Caribbean Restaurant & Lounge, Washington, DC. 2001


Co-coordinator. Provisions Poetry Fest and Free the Peace.Provisions Library, Washington, DC. 2002


Host. Youth Poetry Open Mic. Kick Off Youth Poetry Week. Saturday, April 10, 2004. Mt. Pleasant Library 3160 16th St NW (Corner of 16th and Lamont St. NW) Washington, DC(basement).


SELECTED LITERARY EVENTS:


The Spirit Through Us, Poetry Fest, Night of Poetry, Mothers Day Celebration, Cultural Fair, Women's History Month Poetry Seminar, Poetry and Music Open Mic, Summer Festival and Fundraiser, A Family Affair, Celebration of Love and History, Poetry for Peace, Ancestral Celebration and Building Self - Esteem Through Self Awareness, Royal Words Poetry Lounge and Poetic Beats


About The Literary Events:

Literary events such as The Spirit Through Us, Poetry Fest, Night of Poetry, Mother's Day Celebration, Cultural Fair, Women's History Month Poetry Seminar, and more offer a variety of opportunities to engage in poetry readings and open mic sessions. Hosted and coordinated by an experienced and versatile poet, these events aim to promote the art of poetry and create a supportive creative community.


Highlighted events include the Poetic Beats featuring poets such as Asantewaa Henry, Eric L. Farrell, Lady Di, and others at Dar Es Salaam Bookstore. A Night of Poetry in celebration of Black History Month at Trinity College, Kerby Lounge, saw the vibrant sounds of "Yamama N'ym" performing live. Other events like Royal Words Poetry Lounge at DC Sanctuary and various poetry fests like the 1st Thursday Poetry Fest at Starbucks Chinatown showcase a range of talented poets and special guest appearances. Additionally, youth poetry events and open mic sessions provide a platform for emerging voices in the poetry community. These events offer a chance to celebrate diversity, history, and culture through the power of poetry.


PAST LITERARY WORKSHOPS


Mt. Pleasant Library, Washington, DC. 2013 - 2014. Designed to assist children ages 6 -12 to expand their literary skills.


Takoma Park Library, Washington,DC. 2003. Enhancing Our Imaginations was funded by the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities. The workshop was geared towards young adults. Invited many poets and literary artists to be a part of the workshop. Some of them include Rebecca Bishophall, Judine Slaughter, Hank Okoro and many others.

Popular posts from this blog

Simple White

    The necessity for acquiring whiteboards has diminished for me, as I ceased offering educational services back in 2018. Since that time, my focus has shifted entirely. I have been working on my branding and digital art where I utilize various digital applications to express my creativity. In this context, the color white serves a significant purpose, often representing simplicity and clarity in my artistic endeavors.    “The concept of Simple White embodies the essence of minimalism, where the purity of the color white acts as an open canvas for creativity and innovation, allowing ideas to flourish without the distractions of complexity. The color white encourages a harmonious balance between creativity and tranquility.”

Interpretations or meanings

  I am not playing mind games with anyone.I have made it abundantly clear that I am no longer in the role of a student. I was a student from 1978 - 1997 and I will not accept being treated as one. With over three decades of experience providing consulting services, I have established my identity in this field, and I kindly ask that you cease any actions that undermine that status. It is essential for you to understand the importance of respecting my professional journey. I have dedicated many years to honing my craft and building a reputation that reflects my expertise. Therefore, I urge you to take a moment to review the content I have shared and refrain from searching for interpretations or meanings that simply do not exist in my writings or on my blog. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate your understanding.

The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene

  “The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene serves as a catalyst for cultural dialogue and social commentary. Writers often address pressing issues through their work, reflecting the complexities of urban life and the diverse experiences of the city's inhabitants. This literary engagement not only captivates audiences but also inspires action and awareness around various social topics. As the art scene continues to evolve, the integration of literary forms with other artistic expressions promises to further enrich the cultural landscape, making Washington, D.C. a significant hub for artistic innovation and collaboration.” Join Mr. Miller, Ms. Ayala and Mr. Gilmore at Tenley on September 14th. For those interested in learning more about this literary event, please feel free to reach out via email at midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com. Additional details can also be found on the official website of Esther Productions, Inc. at the provided link - https://www.est...

Djimo Kouyate

  Commissioned Photography for Baba Djimo Kouyate Smithsonian Folklife Festival, 1997, Washington, DC Photograph by Ms. Afrika Abney   "Djimo Kouyaté (August 16, 1946 - August 1, 2004). Djimo Kouyate was from the Malinké tribe, a sub-group of the Mandingo people. Born in Tambacounda, Senegal, he was from a distinguished family of griots who trace their ancestry back to the thirteenth century. A master kora player and a fine singer and dancer, Djimo also played a variety of other instruments including balafon (wooden xylophone), drums, and other string instruments. He worked with the Senegalese National Ballet as a singer and dancer since 1960, and was a founding member of the National Instrumental Ensemble of Senegal."

Unity in Motion

  Unity in Motion. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney   As I engage in the act of blending, my hands move in a graceful circular motion with creativity. The vibrant colors swirl together, merging seamlessly to form a beautiful spectrum that radiates energy and life. This circular movement not only serves to mix the hues but also embodies a deeper meaning, representing the harmony and unity that can be achieved when diverse elements come together in perfect balance. With each deliberate motion, my hands create a rhythmic circle, a visual representation of the artistic process unfolding before me. This circular pattern is more than just a technique; it symbolizes the interconnectedness of all things. The act of blending becomes a meditative experience as my hands trace a continuous circle, inviting the colors to mingle and transform. Each vibrant hue contributes its unique essence, and together they form a cohesive whole that is both striking and h...

Daily Routine and Commitment

    Quote found on the Internet  My daily routine is characterized by a high level of productivity, as I consistently engage in various activities that keep me occupied throughout the day. My focus is primarily on branding, the creation of digital art, and offering a range of services. This commitment to my work ensures that I remain fully immersed in my own work and services, allowing me to maximize my creative output and maintain a steady workflow. As I work from home, I find myself deeply engrossed in utilizing my digital palette and selecting an array of colors to produce my digital art. There is nothing mentioned in my blog posts about relationships. Please take the time to read. Thank you 

Neutral Narrative

“Today is the second day of fall 2024 and Monday, September 23, 2024.This blog is dedicated to sharing my experiences, the services I offer, and the insights I've gained along the way. It is a branding blog focused on consulting. Through this blog, I aim to share not only my expertise but also the transformative power of consulting in helping organizations thrive. The role of a consultant is multifaceted, encompassing the provision of expert advice across a wide array of subjects. Consultants engage in thorough analysis by collecting relevant data and insights, which allows them to craft tailored solutions for their clients which are neutral and unbiased. These solutions are often presented in the form of comprehensive business proposals, designed to address specific challenges and opportunities faced by the organization. By collaborating closely with stakeholders, consultants strive to enhance operational efficiency, drive profitability, and foster sustainable growth. Consulting i...

Autumnal Expressions

      Autumnal Expressions. Digital art created on canvas. September 29, 2024. Afrika Abney “Autumnal Expressions encapsulate the essence of the fall season, a time when nature undergoes a remarkable transformation. As the days grow shorter and temperatures begin to drop, the landscape is painted in dark brown, deep dark brown, deep red and deep magenta.This seasonal shift not only affects the environment but also evokes a range of emotions and reflections. The beauty of autumnal expressions lies not only in the visual splendor of the season but also in the deeper meanings and emotions it inspires in creativity and productivity.”

Energetic Canvas

  Energetic Canvas. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney  My attention is firmly directed towards my own endeavors.Rather than dwelling on what has transpired in the past, I choose to channel my energy into the present. This approach allows me to cultivate a mindset that prioritizes my projects ensuring that I remain productive and engaged in my work. I find that my focus is best spent on my own initiatives, rather than being sidetracked. The past holds no sway over my current mindset; instead, I am dedicated to advancing my own goals. By concentrating on the services I provide, I can maintain a clear vision of what I want to achieve and how I can best serve my client. I am committed to nurturing my projects and honing the services I offer, which allows me to create a meaningful impact.

Expressive Intersections

Quote found on the Internet Incorporating quotations into my work can serve as a vital source of evidence, enriching my narrative with diverse viewpoints and insights. These excerpts not only substantiate my arguments but also introduce new dimensions to the story I am telling. By weaving in the words of others, I can create a more nuanced and multifaceted exploration of the themes present in my art. The use of quotations allows me to draw upon the wisdom and experiences of various individuals, thereby enhancing the depth of my artistic expression. This practice not only validates my own perspectives but also invites the audience to engage with a broader spectrum of ideas. As I reflect on my artistic journey, these voices can illuminate aspects of my work that may not be immediately apparent, fostering a richer dialogue between the viewer and the art. By integrating these voices into my narrative, I can create a tapestry of thoughts that resonate with my own experiences and artistic i...