Skip to main content

Why I taught the arts?

When I was a little girl, I wanted to pursue a career in the arts. I choose the arts as a vehicle and outlet for me to express myself through using the arts. If it was not for the love of the arts and I had the opportunity to teach visual arts, literary arts, and dance throughout my community in the past. It gave me the opportunity to express myself as it is related to bullying and culture, especially to minority race. 

I taught various art forms such as collage design, abstract painting, drawing, poetry, and dance to children, youth and dance.

SELECTED PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES 

ARTS SPECIALIST. Edlavitch Jewish Community Center of Washington, DC, Washington, D.C. June 20, 2018 - July 25, 2018. Plan and present visual arts classes for students of varying backgrounds and abilities , create a safe, structured, and positive environment for each student; and prepare and disseminate a weekly report for the Program Manager, Justin Love.


SUBSTITUTE TEACHER. DC International School, Washington, D.C. 2016 - 2017. Managed and co-managed select classrooms; provided instructions according to prepared lesson plans; ensure classroom environment that promoted active learning while working with students to reinforce learning objectives as defined by the school; and performed other assigned duties.

AFRICAN DANCE INSTRUCTOR. Roda Movements, Takoma Park, M.D.. 2015 - 2015. Taught a group of young children ages 7 - 9. Students learned a variety of West African Dances, cultural and historical context for each dance with a 1/2 hour warm-up, and energetic dance movements. Students learned a variety of West African Dances, cultural and historical within the context for each dance.

WEST AFRICAN DANCE INSTRUCTOR. M.O.M.I.E.S TLC and YWDEP, Washington, DC. SUMMER 2015 Kingdom Kids Care, Washington, DC. Provided West African dance instruction to a group of students for a Summer Camp program such as M.O.M.I.E.S. TLC and Y.W.D.E.P. Students learned a variety of West African Dances, cultural and historical context for each dance with a 1/2 hour warm-up, and energetic dance movements. Students learned a variety of West African Dances, cultural and historical within the context for each dance. Also provided instruction for students at several other organizations including Kingdom Kids Care, Washington, DC. (July 3, 2013 - July 17, 2013) Hyde Addison Elementary School (May 18, 2013)


SUBSTITUTE DANCE INSTRUCTOR. Joy of Motion Dance Center, Washington, DC. August 2013. Provided dance instruction to students grades 9 -12 in the absence of the studio teacher for the World Intensive Summer Camp.


SUBSTITUTE DANCE INSTRUCTOR. Joy of Motion Dance Center, Washington, DC. 2013 - 2015. Provided dance instruction to children and adults in the absence of the studio teacher. Taught Samba Fusion - All Levels and Afro Beats - All Levels.


AFROBEAT, a dance class that includes a fusion of modern and African upbeat combinations to Nigerian music, inspired by FELA! the musical.


Samba Fusion, a dance workout that brings the benefits of basic samba/axe drills and steps to tone muscles.

SUMMER ACADEMY CAMP PART- TIME ELECTIVE ART TEACHER. Higher Achievement, Washington, DC - Metro. July 1, 2013 - August 1, 2013 (Center City PCS - Capitol Hill Campus); and 2003-2004 (Bruce Monroe Elementary School). Created and implemented a visual arts lesson plan for summer program, specific to 5th - 8th grade students of varying backgrounds and abilities. Students gained knowledge and dexterity in specific forms of visual arts, including abstract painting.


SUBSTITUTE TEACHER. Mundo Verde Public Charter Schools, Washington, DC. December 2013 - 2014. Managed and co-managed select classrooms; provided instructions according to prepared lesson plans; ensure classroom environment that promoted active learning while working with students to reinforce learning objectives as defined by the school; and performed other assigned duties.

AFFILIATED TEACHING ARTIST. Young Playwrights' Theatre (YPT), Washington, DC. October 2012 - May 2013.Planned and presented visual arts classes for first and second grade students of varying backgrounds and abilities , integrating literacy fundamentals within the context of the classroom instruction; created a safe, structured, and positive environment for each student; established my own classroom rules for each student to follow; and prepared and disseminated a weekly report for the Program Manager, Laurie Ascoli.


SUBSTITUTE AFRICAN DANCE PRE - PROFESSIONAL INSTRUCTOR. The Dance Institute of Washington (DIW), Washington, D.C. 2010 - 2012.Provided West African Dance Classes for the Pre-Professional Program targeted for ages 12-21 on Wednesdays.


PAST VISUAL ART WORKSHOPS 

Kuumba Arts and Crafts Program (1995-1998). D.C. Department of Recreation (Emery Recreation Center, Parkview Recreation Center, Hamilton Recreation Center and Upshur Recreation Center) from 1997 - 1998 and A - T Seban Mesut (1995- 1998). Sponsored by Ms. Afrika Abney and funded by the D.C. Commission of the Arts, Arts Education Grant Program - https://msafrikaabney.weebly.com/kuumba-arts-and-crafts-program.html

Kuumba Expressions Visual Art Workshops (2015 and 2016).Culture Coffee on January 31, 2015 and Potter's House on May 16, 2016 and May 23, 2016. Sponsored by Culture Coffee, Potter's House and Esther Productions, Inc Art Enablers. - https://msafrikaabney.weebly.com/kuumba-expressions.html


SELECTED LITERARY WORKSHOP

Enhancing Our Imaginations funded by the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities. Takoma Park Library, Washington, DC. 2003

COMMUNITY CAREER DAY VISUAL ART WORKSHOPS


2016. Eliot (invited by Ms. Ophelia Morgan).

1996. Calvin Coolidge High School (invited by Ms. Angela Cook)


Popular posts from this blog

Simple White

    The necessity for acquiring whiteboards has diminished for me, as I ceased offering educational services back in 2018. Since that time, my focus has shifted entirely. I have been working on my branding and digital art where I utilize various digital applications to express my creativity. In this context, the color white serves a significant purpose, often representing simplicity and clarity in my artistic endeavors.    “The concept of Simple White embodies the essence of minimalism, where the purity of the color white acts as an open canvas for creativity and innovation, allowing ideas to flourish without the distractions of complexity. The color white encourages a harmonious balance between creativity and tranquility.”

Interpretations or meanings

  I am not playing mind games with anyone.I have made it abundantly clear that I am no longer in the role of a student. I was a student from 1978 - 1997 and I will not accept being treated as one. With over three decades of experience providing consulting services, I have established my identity in this field, and I kindly ask that you cease any actions that undermine that status. It is essential for you to understand the importance of respecting my professional journey. I have dedicated many years to honing my craft and building a reputation that reflects my expertise. Therefore, I urge you to take a moment to review the content I have shared and refrain from searching for interpretations or meanings that simply do not exist in my writings or on my blog. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate your understanding.

The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene

  “The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene serves as a catalyst for cultural dialogue and social commentary. Writers often address pressing issues through their work, reflecting the complexities of urban life and the diverse experiences of the city's inhabitants. This literary engagement not only captivates audiences but also inspires action and awareness around various social topics. As the art scene continues to evolve, the integration of literary forms with other artistic expressions promises to further enrich the cultural landscape, making Washington, D.C. a significant hub for artistic innovation and collaboration.” Join Mr. Miller, Ms. Ayala and Mr. Gilmore at Tenley on September 14th. For those interested in learning more about this literary event, please feel free to reach out via email at midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com. Additional details can also be found on the official website of Esther Productions, Inc. at the provided link - https://www.est...

Djimo Kouyate

  Commissioned Photography for Baba Djimo Kouyate Smithsonian Folklife Festival, 1997, Washington, DC Photograph by Ms. Afrika Abney   "Djimo Kouyaté (August 16, 1946 - August 1, 2004). Djimo Kouyate was from the Malinké tribe, a sub-group of the Mandingo people. Born in Tambacounda, Senegal, he was from a distinguished family of griots who trace their ancestry back to the thirteenth century. A master kora player and a fine singer and dancer, Djimo also played a variety of other instruments including balafon (wooden xylophone), drums, and other string instruments. He worked with the Senegalese National Ballet as a singer and dancer since 1960, and was a founding member of the National Instrumental Ensemble of Senegal."

Daily Routine and Commitment

    Quote found on the Internet  My daily routine is characterized by a high level of productivity, as I consistently engage in various activities that keep me occupied throughout the day. My focus is primarily on branding, the creation of digital art, and offering a range of services. This commitment to my work ensures that I remain fully immersed in my own work and services, allowing me to maximize my creative output and maintain a steady workflow. As I work from home, I find myself deeply engrossed in utilizing my digital palette and selecting an array of colors to produce my digital art. There is nothing mentioned in my blog posts about relationships. Please take the time to read. Thank you 

Unity in Motion

  Unity in Motion. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney   As I engage in the act of blending, my hands move in a graceful circular motion with creativity. The vibrant colors swirl together, merging seamlessly to form a beautiful spectrum that radiates energy and life. This circular movement not only serves to mix the hues but also embodies a deeper meaning, representing the harmony and unity that can be achieved when diverse elements come together in perfect balance. With each deliberate motion, my hands create a rhythmic circle, a visual representation of the artistic process unfolding before me. This circular pattern is more than just a technique; it symbolizes the interconnectedness of all things. The act of blending becomes a meditative experience as my hands trace a continuous circle, inviting the colors to mingle and transform. Each vibrant hue contributes its unique essence, and together they form a cohesive whole that is both striking and h...

Autumnal Expressions

      Autumnal Expressions. Digital art created on canvas. September 29, 2024. Afrika Abney “Autumnal Expressions encapsulate the essence of the fall season, a time when nature undergoes a remarkable transformation. As the days grow shorter and temperatures begin to drop, the landscape is painted in dark brown, deep dark brown, deep red and deep magenta.This seasonal shift not only affects the environment but also evokes a range of emotions and reflections. The beauty of autumnal expressions lies not only in the visual splendor of the season but also in the deeper meanings and emotions it inspires in creativity and productivity.”

Energetic Canvas

  Energetic Canvas. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney  My attention is firmly directed towards my own endeavors.Rather than dwelling on what has transpired in the past, I choose to channel my energy into the present. This approach allows me to cultivate a mindset that prioritizes my projects ensuring that I remain productive and engaged in my work. I find that my focus is best spent on my own initiatives, rather than being sidetracked. The past holds no sway over my current mindset; instead, I am dedicated to advancing my own goals. By concentrating on the services I provide, I can maintain a clear vision of what I want to achieve and how I can best serve my client. I am committed to nurturing my projects and honing the services I offer, which allows me to create a meaningful impact.

Expressive Intersections

Quote found on the Internet Incorporating quotations into my work can serve as a vital source of evidence, enriching my narrative with diverse viewpoints and insights. These excerpts not only substantiate my arguments but also introduce new dimensions to the story I am telling. By weaving in the words of others, I can create a more nuanced and multifaceted exploration of the themes present in my art. The use of quotations allows me to draw upon the wisdom and experiences of various individuals, thereby enhancing the depth of my artistic expression. This practice not only validates my own perspectives but also invites the audience to engage with a broader spectrum of ideas. As I reflect on my artistic journey, these voices can illuminate aspects of my work that may not be immediately apparent, fostering a richer dialogue between the viewer and the art. By integrating these voices into my narrative, I can create a tapestry of thoughts that resonate with my own experiences and artistic i...

Neutral Narrative

“Today is the second day of fall 2024 and Monday, September 23, 2024.This blog is dedicated to sharing my experiences, the services I offer, and the insights I've gained along the way. It is a branding blog focused on consulting. Through this blog, I aim to share not only my expertise but also the transformative power of consulting in helping organizations thrive. The role of a consultant is multifaceted, encompassing the provision of expert advice across a wide array of subjects. Consultants engage in thorough analysis by collecting relevant data and insights, which allows them to craft tailored solutions for their clients which are neutral and unbiased. These solutions are often presented in the form of comprehensive business proposals, designed to address specific challenges and opportunities faced by the organization. By collaborating closely with stakeholders, consultants strive to enhance operational efficiency, drive profitability, and foster sustainable growth. Consulting i...