Skip to main content

Kaleidoscope: Women of Color Reflecting Life

  


Summer Blossoms. Acrylic on Canvas. 14 * 18. Afrika Abney

​
Summer Blossoms, abstract finger painting created on canvas using colors that represent the Summer.
​
Featured on the cover of a book and the painting is entitled: Summer Blossoms. It is entitled: Kaleidoscope.




Kaleidoscope: Women of Color Reflecting Life

Feb 19, 3:00 PM – 4:00 PM EST
virtual event


In the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic a group of women gathered online to write and share poetry in a workshop launched by Esther Productions Inc. The event was titled  Women are Poetry In Motion. Participants continued to meet and the group evolved into the Kaleidoscope Writing Collective--seven women writers in various stages of their development exploring their creativity and sharing their vision. 


Come on February 19 at 3 pm come experience Kaleidoscope: Women of Color Reflecting Life.


Introduction to first book, Kaleidoscope by Joy Jones, director of the performance poetry group, The Spoken Word and founder of the multigenerational double Dutch team, DC Retro Jumpers. 

 

 featuring

Beverly Sims, Blanche Thomas, Betty Nyangoni, Rosalind Blunt, Kanimozhi MV, Sharon Burton, Lesa Warrick and jonetta rose barras



BEVERLY SIMS resides in Chicago, Illinois. Through God’s grace I’ve endured for 60 plus years. I work remotely for a local hospital in finance as well as consulting for a health organization. In my spare time I enjoy poetry and short story writing as well as creative arts. I love to listen to people’s life stories and transform them onto a page. Upon retirement I will devote my time to writing and watching sunsets with my dog Charlie. Most of my writing comes from my personal life experience. I thank everyone who has encouraged me, taught me and helped me in my growth. Butterflies don’t become beautiful overnight, and flowers rise from the dirt. My hope is that everyone finds purpose in their pain, joy in midst of chaos and passion in their pursuit. I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the group. We have encouraged, virtually hugged and shared a bit of ourselves throughout the pandemic. We are no longer strangers. We are connected.

 

 

ROSALIND BLUNT of Fairfax began her career as a middle school English teacher in Richmond, Virginia after completing her graduate studies in English at the University of Virginia and undergraduate studies at Hampton University. She continued her teaching career at Northern Virginia Community College - Loudoun Campus where she retired as Professor Emerita. In addition to teaching, she has worked as a writing consultant, editor of a community-based non-profit’s newsletter, and a copy editor. While teaching, she often helped individuals self-publish fiction and nonfiction books which are currently available on Amazon.com. Helping others self-publish their writing motivated her to consider publishing her own writing, a book of poetry. She always loved studying and teaching poetry, and, believing that poetry should be read orally as well as silently, she usually read poems aloud during class. She hoped to encourage students to appreciate the sounds of the words as well as the images created by the words. After retiring from teaching, she had time to pursue the idea of self-publishing a collection of poems and began to draft ideas to enable her to achieve her goal.

 

 

SHARON BURTON is an artist, poet, and creativity coach based in the Washington, DC area. She is a visual artist whose preferred medium is collage and mixed media and has exhibited her art in galleries, art venues and other settings across the country since 2007. Her work can be found in private collections in Atlanta, Washington, DC and other places across the country.

 

In 2018, she started writing poetry as a form of creative expression after dealing with a life lesson. In 2019, she compiled a chapbook of 35+ poems which she self-published for her friends and family entitled Moon Rising in Capricorn. With feedback from those who read the poems in this collection, Sharon was encouraged to write more poems. She is currently writing a book of inspirational affirmations for creatives and artists at midlife and will officially publish a poetry book within the next year.

 

Sharon is based in Southern Maryland, outside of Washington, DC. When she is not working or creating, you can find her hiking in the forests along the East Coast or indulging in Artist’s Dates to

museums, cafes or spending quality time with her calico cat, Athena.


BETTY NYANGONI,Ph. D., is a semi-retired educator and consultant. In her professional and academic career, among other things. she has served as a schoolteacher, professor, supervisor and administrator. These and other pursuits have taken her to several states, countries and continents. Her current writings reflect some of her personal experiences throughout her travels and career. They have provided her unique insights into people. places and things. Her interests are wide, varied and interdisciplinary. Although she has written in other genres, none of her previous works have been in poetry. During the Covid-19 shutdown, she turned to writing poetry. Along the way, she received valuable support and professional guidance from her Kaleidoscope family. It proved to be a joyful learning, enlightening and fun-filled experience. The poems included in this collection are the result.

 

Dr. Nyangoni resides in Washington, DC with her granddaughter, Taylor and her pit bull Bleu.

 

 

KANIMOZHI MV is a poet and writer. I write mostly in my native language. I come from Tamil Nadu, south India currently residing in Virginia. I was practicing as an attorney back home. Currently I am a full-time writer.

 

I have published three poetry books-- two on Amazon kindle and one in print. This group provided a lot of confidence to write poems in English and this my first set of poems to be published in English.


BLANCHE THOMAS was born, raised and still reside in Chicago, IL on the west side. Currently, I am an empty nester but am truly blessed to have the love and support of my beautiful family and many loyal friends.

 

After spending 40+ years in corporate America, I retired in 2020. A year later, I decided to open an online fashion boutique, chitownchicboutique.com. Most of my days are now spent growing my small business and living life like it’s golden.

 

My love of writing blossomed during my elementary school years when my friends and I would write poetry, short stories, and songs. By 7th grade, we were writing, directing, and starring in our own theatre productions for our classmates. My passion for writing continued over the years. It became my therapy of choice to help identify and express the many emotions and changes I experienced during different seasons of my life. It is also a creative outlet that allows my spirit to run free and embrace life more passionately.

 

 

LESA WARRICK is a proud mother of one son, Courtney Jr. (CJ), but she mentors and pours into the lives of young people daily. She is a National Board-Certified Exceptional Needs Teacher who enjoys working with children of all ages, but her passion is working with students with special needs. She also has a passion for teaching young people about empathy and compassion through civic engagement and service-learning projects as she believes in blessing others so that her life can be blessed. During her personal time, she loves listening to gospel music, journaling, volunteering, walking, and traveling. Ms. Warrick credits much of her personal growth to her strong faith and the words of wisdom instilled in her by her deceased mother and deceased Aunty J. She knows it

is only because of her strong faith and journaling their encouraging words contributed to her healing and finish strong in overcoming many the hurdles in her life. Ms. Warrick hopes that she can model her strong faith to those who continue to cross her path, especially to her son so that can pass the words of wisdom and his own faith experiences to his children and family generations to come.

 

 

jonetta rose barras is a best-selling author, poet, playwright, award- winning journalist and editor. She is the editor of Discovering Me… Without You: Teen Girls Speak About Father Absence (Esther Productions Inc. Books 2020). Barras is the author Bridges: Reuniting Daughters and Daddies (Bancroft Press 2005), Black Board bestseller Whatever Happened to Daddy’s Little Girl: The Impact of Fatherlessness on Black Women (Ballantine 2000 hardcover, 2001 paperback) and The Last of the Black Emperors: The Hollow Comeback of Marion Barry in the New Age of Black Leaders (Bancroft Press 1998).

 

jonetta also is the author of the critically acclaimed poetry collection The Corner Is No Place For Hiding (Bunny and the Crocodile Press 1996). Her poems and short stories also have appeared in numerous anthologies including “Amazing Graces” (Paycock Press 2012) and “It’s All Love: Black Writers on Soul Mates, Family, and Friends” (Broadway Books 2009). Her book “Twelve Steps to Reconciliation” is scheduled for release by Bancroft Press in 2023.

 

While a resident of Washington, DC, jonetta calls New Orleans home.



It's Free. Registration is required.


For more information about Esther Productions, Inc, please visit estherproductionsinc.com.


Esther Productions, Inc. is a Washington, DC-based national nonprofit organization. Founded in 2004, it is dedicated to inspiring and empowering girls and women. It is supported through generous contributions from Kerry S. Pearson LLC, Emmanuel Bailey, Veterans Services Corp, Pepco, an Exelon Corporation, Fort Myer Construction Corporation Charitable Foundation and Esther’s Friends


Popular posts from this blog

Simple White

    The necessity for acquiring whiteboards has diminished for me, as I ceased offering educational services back in 2018. Since that time, my focus has shifted entirely. I have been working on my branding and digital art where I utilize various digital applications to express my creativity. In this context, the color white serves a significant purpose, often representing simplicity and clarity in my artistic endeavors.    “The concept of Simple White embodies the essence of minimalism, where the purity of the color white acts as an open canvas for creativity and innovation, allowing ideas to flourish without the distractions of complexity. The color white encourages a harmonious balance between creativity and tranquility.”

Interpretations or meanings

  I am not playing mind games with anyone.I have made it abundantly clear that I am no longer in the role of a student. I was a student from 1978 - 1997 and I will not accept being treated as one. With over three decades of experience providing consulting services, I have established my identity in this field, and I kindly ask that you cease any actions that undermine that status. It is essential for you to understand the importance of respecting my professional journey. I have dedicated many years to honing my craft and building a reputation that reflects my expertise. Therefore, I urge you to take a moment to review the content I have shared and refrain from searching for interpretations or meanings that simply do not exist in my writings or on my blog. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate your understanding.

The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene

  “The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene serves as a catalyst for cultural dialogue and social commentary. Writers often address pressing issues through their work, reflecting the complexities of urban life and the diverse experiences of the city's inhabitants. This literary engagement not only captivates audiences but also inspires action and awareness around various social topics. As the art scene continues to evolve, the integration of literary forms with other artistic expressions promises to further enrich the cultural landscape, making Washington, D.C. a significant hub for artistic innovation and collaboration.” Join Mr. Miller, Ms. Ayala and Mr. Gilmore at Tenley on September 14th. For those interested in learning more about this literary event, please feel free to reach out via email at midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com. Additional details can also be found on the official website of Esther Productions, Inc. at the provided link - https://www.est...

Daily Routine and Commitment

    Quote found on the Internet  My daily routine is characterized by a high level of productivity, as I consistently engage in various activities that keep me occupied throughout the day. My focus is primarily on branding, the creation of digital art, and offering a range of services. This commitment to my work ensures that I remain fully immersed in my own work and services, allowing me to maximize my creative output and maintain a steady workflow. As I work from home, I find myself deeply engrossed in utilizing my digital palette and selecting an array of colors to produce my digital art. There is nothing mentioned in my blog posts about relationships. Please take the time to read. Thank you 

Energetic Canvas

  Energetic Canvas. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney  My attention is firmly directed towards my own endeavors.Rather than dwelling on what has transpired in the past, I choose to channel my energy into the present. This approach allows me to cultivate a mindset that prioritizes my projects ensuring that I remain productive and engaged in my work. I find that my focus is best spent on my own initiatives, rather than being sidetracked. The past holds no sway over my current mindset; instead, I am dedicated to advancing my own goals. By concentrating on the services I provide, I can maintain a clear vision of what I want to achieve and how I can best serve my client. I am committed to nurturing my projects and honing the services I offer, which allows me to create a meaningful impact.

Unity in Motion

  Unity in Motion. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney   As I engage in the act of blending, my hands move in a graceful circular motion with creativity. The vibrant colors swirl together, merging seamlessly to form a beautiful spectrum that radiates energy and life. This circular movement not only serves to mix the hues but also embodies a deeper meaning, representing the harmony and unity that can be achieved when diverse elements come together in perfect balance. With each deliberate motion, my hands create a rhythmic circle, a visual representation of the artistic process unfolding before me. This circular pattern is more than just a technique; it symbolizes the interconnectedness of all things. The act of blending becomes a meditative experience as my hands trace a continuous circle, inviting the colors to mingle and transform. Each vibrant hue contributes its unique essence, and together they form a cohesive whole that is both striking and h...

Gentle Rain

  Gentle Rain. Digital art created on canvas. September 28, 2024. Afrika Abney The season of Autumn 2024 commenced just six days ago, and on this rainy Saturday morning, I woke up from my restful sleep a couple of hours ago. The sound of raindrops tapping against the window provided a soothing backdrop as I prepared to embrace the day ahead. This weekend, I have dedicated my time to focusing on my branding and delving into the creation of my digital artwork, both of which are essential components of my creative journey. Have a creative weekend.

Autumnal Expressions

      Autumnal Expressions. Digital art created on canvas. September 29, 2024. Afrika Abney “Autumnal Expressions encapsulate the essence of the fall season, a time when nature undergoes a remarkable transformation. As the days grow shorter and temperatures begin to drop, the landscape is painted in dark brown, deep dark brown, deep red and deep magenta.This seasonal shift not only affects the environment but also evokes a range of emotions and reflections. The beauty of autumnal expressions lies not only in the visual splendor of the season but also in the deeper meanings and emotions it inspires in creativity and productivity.”

Djimo Kouyate

  Commissioned Photography for Baba Djimo Kouyate Smithsonian Folklife Festival, 1997, Washington, DC Photograph by Ms. Afrika Abney   "Djimo Kouyaté (August 16, 1946 - August 1, 2004). Djimo Kouyate was from the Malinké tribe, a sub-group of the Mandingo people. Born in Tambacounda, Senegal, he was from a distinguished family of griots who trace their ancestry back to the thirteenth century. A master kora player and a fine singer and dancer, Djimo also played a variety of other instruments including balafon (wooden xylophone), drums, and other string instruments. He worked with the Senegalese National Ballet as a singer and dancer since 1960, and was a founding member of the National Instrumental Ensemble of Senegal."

Expressive Intersections

Quote found on the Internet Incorporating quotations into my work can serve as a vital source of evidence, enriching my narrative with diverse viewpoints and insights. These excerpts not only substantiate my arguments but also introduce new dimensions to the story I am telling. By weaving in the words of others, I can create a more nuanced and multifaceted exploration of the themes present in my art. The use of quotations allows me to draw upon the wisdom and experiences of various individuals, thereby enhancing the depth of my artistic expression. This practice not only validates my own perspectives but also invites the audience to engage with a broader spectrum of ideas. As I reflect on my artistic journey, these voices can illuminate aspects of my work that may not be immediately apparent, fostering a richer dialogue between the viewer and the art. By integrating these voices into my narrative, I can create a tapestry of thoughts that resonate with my own experiences and artistic i...