Skip to main content

International Women's Day is March 8th

 

International Women's Day is March 8th. In honor of International Women's Day, I am sharing some bios on women that I was taught about from NationHouse many years ago and women who inspired me.

Nkechi Taifa

"Nkechi Taifa is a past president of the D.C. Chapter of the National Conference of Black Lawyers and founding member and former chair of the Legislative Commission of the National Coalition of Blacks for Reparations in America (NCOBRA). She is a Commissioner on the National African American Reparations Commission (NAARC)."

Rev. Kathy English Holt

"Rev. Kathy English Holt, also known as Mama Kathy, is a community woman, born and bred in Washington, DC and buttered in North Carolina. Since 1993, she has had a private practice in Washington, DC as a massage therapist, hypnotherapist, Reiki energy healer, and spiritual counselor."

Nana Malaya  

 "Nana Malaya has been performing since early childhood.  Her versatility and expertise in the arts has lead to many diverse opportunities.  Her first major choreographic work was, “The Hallelujah Chorus,” a liturgical dance (an innovation at the time) for the prestigious Carnegie Mellon Institute in Pittsburg when she was only 16 years old!

Nana Malaya was also selected to be one of the youngest members of August Wilson’s first professional theatre company: The Black Horizon Theatre.  This friendship and collaboration continued, and she also served as an actress and choreographer for the Pulitzer Prize winning playwright.  Her company, The Nubian Theatre Dance & Music Company, has provided her the opportunity to portray many characters and to be a featured performer at many major venues including: The Lincoln Center, NYC; The Kennedy Center; The Smithsonian Institute; Wolftrap; the Anacostia Museum; Discovery Theatre; The Historic Lincoln Theatre; The Arc; The Lisner; The Harlem National Black Theatre and many more.  She has also toured and graced the stage with Malcolm Jamal Warner, Phyliss Stickney, Phyliss Hyman, Stevie Wonder, Miriam Mekeba, Bill T. Jones, Alice Coltrane, and numerous others!  

Nana Malaya was declared “The Dancing Diplomat” since she has performed around the world.  She has had the honor of being selected to perform for the King of Ghana, President Bill Clinton, Rosa Park and others."

Mary McLeod Bethune

"Mary McLeod Bethune was a passionate educator and presidential advisor. In her long career of public service, she became one of the earliest black female activists that helped lay the foundation to the modern civil rights movement."

 “She believed she could, so she did.” –Unknown

“A strong woman stands up for herself. A stronger woman stands up for everyone else.” –Unknown

“You can always tell who the strong women are. They are the ones you see building one another up instead of tearing each other down.” –Unknown 

 

Popular posts from this blog

Simple White

    The necessity for acquiring whiteboards has diminished for me, as I ceased offering educational services back in 2018. Since that time, my focus has shifted entirely. I have been working on my branding and digital art where I utilize various digital applications to express my creativity. In this context, the color white serves a significant purpose, often representing simplicity and clarity in my artistic endeavors.    “The concept of Simple White embodies the essence of minimalism, where the purity of the color white acts as an open canvas for creativity and innovation, allowing ideas to flourish without the distractions of complexity. The color white encourages a harmonious balance between creativity and tranquility.”

Interpretations or meanings

  I am not playing mind games with anyone.I have made it abundantly clear that I am no longer in the role of a student. I was a student from 1978 - 1997 and I will not accept being treated as one. With over three decades of experience providing consulting services, I have established my identity in this field, and I kindly ask that you cease any actions that undermine that status. It is essential for you to understand the importance of respecting my professional journey. I have dedicated many years to honing my craft and building a reputation that reflects my expertise. Therefore, I urge you to take a moment to review the content I have shared and refrain from searching for interpretations or meanings that simply do not exist in my writings or on my blog. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate your understanding.

The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene

  “The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene serves as a catalyst for cultural dialogue and social commentary. Writers often address pressing issues through their work, reflecting the complexities of urban life and the diverse experiences of the city's inhabitants. This literary engagement not only captivates audiences but also inspires action and awareness around various social topics. As the art scene continues to evolve, the integration of literary forms with other artistic expressions promises to further enrich the cultural landscape, making Washington, D.C. a significant hub for artistic innovation and collaboration.” Join Mr. Miller, Ms. Ayala and Mr. Gilmore at Tenley on September 14th. For those interested in learning more about this literary event, please feel free to reach out via email at midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com. Additional details can also be found on the official website of Esther Productions, Inc. at the provided link - https://www.est...

Unity in Motion

  Unity in Motion. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney   As I engage in the act of blending, my hands move in a graceful circular motion with creativity. The vibrant colors swirl together, merging seamlessly to form a beautiful spectrum that radiates energy and life. This circular movement not only serves to mix the hues but also embodies a deeper meaning, representing the harmony and unity that can be achieved when diverse elements come together in perfect balance. With each deliberate motion, my hands create a rhythmic circle, a visual representation of the artistic process unfolding before me. This circular pattern is more than just a technique; it symbolizes the interconnectedness of all things. The act of blending becomes a meditative experience as my hands trace a continuous circle, inviting the colors to mingle and transform. Each vibrant hue contributes its unique essence, and together they form a cohesive whole that is both striking and h...

Energetic Canvas

  Energetic Canvas. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney  My attention is firmly directed towards my own endeavors.Rather than dwelling on what has transpired in the past, I choose to channel my energy into the present. This approach allows me to cultivate a mindset that prioritizes my projects ensuring that I remain productive and engaged in my work. I find that my focus is best spent on my own initiatives, rather than being sidetracked. The past holds no sway over my current mindset; instead, I am dedicated to advancing my own goals. By concentrating on the services I provide, I can maintain a clear vision of what I want to achieve and how I can best serve my client. I am committed to nurturing my projects and honing the services I offer, which allows me to create a meaningful impact.

Gentle Rain

  Gentle Rain. Digital art created on canvas. September 28, 2024. Afrika Abney The season of Autumn 2024 commenced just six days ago, and on this rainy Saturday morning, I woke up from my restful sleep a couple of hours ago. The sound of raindrops tapping against the window provided a soothing backdrop as I prepared to embrace the day ahead. This weekend, I have dedicated my time to focusing on my branding and delving into the creation of my digital artwork, both of which are essential components of my creative journey. Have a creative weekend.

Autumnal Expressions

      Autumnal Expressions. Digital art created on canvas. September 29, 2024. Afrika Abney “Autumnal Expressions encapsulate the essence of the fall season, a time when nature undergoes a remarkable transformation. As the days grow shorter and temperatures begin to drop, the landscape is painted in dark brown, deep dark brown, deep red and deep magenta.This seasonal shift not only affects the environment but also evokes a range of emotions and reflections. The beauty of autumnal expressions lies not only in the visual splendor of the season but also in the deeper meanings and emotions it inspires in creativity and productivity.”

Daily Routine and Commitment

    Quote found on the Internet  My daily routine is characterized by a high level of productivity, as I consistently engage in various activities that keep me occupied throughout the day. My focus is primarily on branding, the creation of digital art, and offering a range of services. This commitment to my work ensures that I remain fully immersed in my own work and services, allowing me to maximize my creative output and maintain a steady workflow. As I work from home, I find myself deeply engrossed in utilizing my digital palette and selecting an array of colors to produce my digital art. There is nothing mentioned in my blog posts about relationships. Please take the time to read. Thank you 

Black Friday Weekend - BZB Gift Show 2022

  30th Annual BZB Shop til Ya Drop! NOV 25-26th Black Friday & Saturday Shiloh Baptist Church 1510 9th Street NW(9th & P Sts) Washington DC 20001 https://bzbinternational.com/ https://www. washingtoninformer.com/d-c-s- busy-bee-to-reopen-holiday- shopping-extravaganza-after- two-year-hiatus/ https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ shop-bzb-black-friday- saturday-tickets-467879559357 Janice Ferebee, MSW,  is an internationally recognized speaker, author, global female empowerment expert, and elected official, with a Master of Social Work from the University of Pennsylvania's School of Social Policy & Practice (SP2). She is the founder & Chief Woman Warrior (CWW) of Ferebee Enterprises International, LLC, a global female empowerment social enterprise.  With over 40 years' expertise, Janice has the distinction of being recognized by  BET Teen Summit ,  The Oprah Winfrey Show  and  ESSENCE Magazine ,  for her award-winning GOT IT GOIN' ON® (GIGO...

Compassionate Canvas

  Compassionate Canvas. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney  The significance of compassion can be beautifully expressed through the use of color. In my digital artwork, titled "Compassionate Canvas," I aimed to capture the very essence of this emotion by employing a palette of vibrant hues. Each color was carefully chosen to evoke feelings of warmth, understanding, and empathy. Through the strokes and shades in "Compassionate Canvas," I sought to illustrate how colors can serve as a visual language for compassion. The bright and lively tones intertwine to create a sense of connection and harmony, inviting viewers to engage with the artwork on a deeper level.