Skip to main content

Katherine Dunham

 

"Dunham Technique is a vibrant African American dance form that engages the body, mind and spirit! Created by dance pioneer Katherine Dunham, the technique is informed by the traditional dances of the African Diaspora, as well as by modern and ballet." I studied Dunham Technique from Dr. Sherrill Berryman Johnson. 
 
"Katherine Dunham Legendary dancer, choreographer and anthropologist, Katherine Dunham was born on June 22,1909 in Chicago, to an African American father and a French Canadian mother. She sang in her local Methodist Church in Joliet; but for a financial crisis at her church, she might never have sung anything but gospel songs. At age eight, she amazed and scandalized the elders of her church by doing a performance of decidedly non-religious songs at a cabaret party, in order to raise money. She never thought about a career in dance. Instead, she consented to her family's wish that she become a teacher and followed her brother, Albert Dunham Jr. to the University of Chicago, where she became one of the first African American women to attend this University and earned bachelor, masters and doctoral degrees in anthropology.

At the same time she became a student of Ludmilla Speranzeva, formerly of the Moscow Theater, Mark Turbyfill and Ruth Page. Following graduation, she founded the Negro Dance Group. They performed at the Chicago Beaux Arts Theater in ‘A Negro Rhapsody’, dancing with the Chicago Opera Company, and one of the performances was attended by Mrs. Alfred Rosenwald Stern, who was sufficiently impressed to arrange an invitation for Dunham to appear before the Rosenwald Foundation, which offered to finance any study contributing toward her dance career that she cared to name. Thus armed with foundation money, Dunham spent most of the next two years in the Caribbean studying all aspects of dance and the motivations behind dance. Although she traveled throughout the region, including Trinidad and Jamaica, it was in Haiti that she found special personal and artistic resonances. She wrote some scholarly essays during her trip and sold lighter magazine articles about the Caribbean under the name of K. Dunn.

Katherine Dunham revolutionized American dance in the 1930's by going to the roots of black dance and rituals transforming them into significant artistic choreography that speaks to all. She was a pioneer in the use of folk and ethnic choreography and one of the founders of the anthropological dance movement. She showed the world that African American heritage is beautiful. She completed groundbreaking work on Caribbean and Brazilian dance anthropology as a new academic discipline. She is credited for bringing these Caribbean and African influences to a European-dominated dance world.

She returned to the United States informed by new methods of movement and expression. Her presentation included photos, films, writings and her own demonstration which was an innovation in itself. She then created the Dunham Technique that transformed the world of dance.

In 1931, Miss Dunham met one of America’s most highly regarded theatrical designers, John Pratt, forming a powerful personal and creative team that lasted until his death in the 1986. They married in 1949 to adopt their daughter, Marie-Christine, an 18 month-old French child.

Dunham’s first school was in Chicago. In 1944 she rented Caravan Hall, Isadora Duncan’s studio in New York, and opened the K.D. school of Arts and Research. In 1945 she opened the famous Dunham School at 220 W 43rd Street in New York where such artists as Marlon Brando and James Dean took classes.

Dunham's big breakthrough to popular recognition took place after she moved to New York in 1939 where, in February, she opened at the Windsor Theater in a program called ‘Tropics’ and le ‘Jazz Hot’. It was supposed to be a one-night event but demand was such that Dunham ended up doing 13 weeks, and followed with her own Tropical Revue, which was a hit not only in the United States but also in Canada. She appeared at the Martin Beck Theatre in October of 1940 as Georgia Brown in Cabin in the Sky, which she also choreographed with George Balanchine.

She then founded the Katherine Dunham Dance group - which later developed into the famous Katherine Dunham Company - devoted to African-American and Afro-Caribbean dance. Miss Dunham worked as a director in the Federal Theater Project, the government-sponsored relief program for artists that also nurtured such talents as Orson Welles and John Houseman. She co-directed and danced in Carib Song at the Adelphi Theater in New York in 1945, and was producer, director, and star of Bal Nègre at the Belasco Theater in New York in 1946." - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katherine_Dunham

 

"Black people should have recognition for themselves and their backgrounds and their relationships with other people in the world and thus lose some of their alienation. This museum has certainly stood for that in this town." - Katherine Dunham 

"I really think that aside from admiring my talent you really admire me as a person and as a woman."- Katherine Dunham

Black people should have recognition for themselves and their backgrounds and their relationships with other people in the world and thus lose some of their alienation. This museum has certainly stood for that in this town. Share this Quote Katherine Dunham
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/katherine-dunham-quotes

 

 
 

Popular posts from this blog

Simple White

    The necessity for acquiring whiteboards has diminished for me, as I ceased offering educational services back in 2018. Since that time, my focus has shifted entirely. I have been working on my branding and digital art where I utilize various digital applications to express my creativity. In this context, the color white serves a significant purpose, often representing simplicity and clarity in my artistic endeavors.    “The concept of Simple White embodies the essence of minimalism, where the purity of the color white acts as an open canvas for creativity and innovation, allowing ideas to flourish without the distractions of complexity. The color white encourages a harmonious balance between creativity and tranquility.”

Interpretations or meanings

  I am not playing mind games with anyone.I have made it abundantly clear that I am no longer in the role of a student. I was a student from 1978 - 1997 and I will not accept being treated as one. With over three decades of experience providing consulting services, I have established my identity in this field, and I kindly ask that you cease any actions that undermine that status. It is essential for you to understand the importance of respecting my professional journey. I have dedicated many years to honing my craft and building a reputation that reflects my expertise. Therefore, I urge you to take a moment to review the content I have shared and refrain from searching for interpretations or meanings that simply do not exist in my writings or on my blog. Thank you for your attention to this matter. I appreciate your understanding.

The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene

  “The intersection of poetry and prose within the D.C. art scene serves as a catalyst for cultural dialogue and social commentary. Writers often address pressing issues through their work, reflecting the complexities of urban life and the diverse experiences of the city's inhabitants. This literary engagement not only captivates audiences but also inspires action and awareness around various social topics. As the art scene continues to evolve, the integration of literary forms with other artistic expressions promises to further enrich the cultural landscape, making Washington, D.C. a significant hub for artistic innovation and collaboration.” Join Mr. Miller, Ms. Ayala and Mr. Gilmore at Tenley on September 14th. For those interested in learning more about this literary event, please feel free to reach out via email at midnightrosereadingseries@gmail.com. Additional details can also be found on the official website of Esther Productions, Inc. at the provided link - https://www.est...

Djimo Kouyate

  Commissioned Photography for Baba Djimo Kouyate Smithsonian Folklife Festival, 1997, Washington, DC Photograph by Ms. Afrika Abney   "Djimo Kouyaté (August 16, 1946 - August 1, 2004). Djimo Kouyate was from the Malinké tribe, a sub-group of the Mandingo people. Born in Tambacounda, Senegal, he was from a distinguished family of griots who trace their ancestry back to the thirteenth century. A master kora player and a fine singer and dancer, Djimo also played a variety of other instruments including balafon (wooden xylophone), drums, and other string instruments. He worked with the Senegalese National Ballet as a singer and dancer since 1960, and was a founding member of the National Instrumental Ensemble of Senegal."

Daily Routine and Commitment

    Quote found on the Internet  My daily routine is characterized by a high level of productivity, as I consistently engage in various activities that keep me occupied throughout the day. My focus is primarily on branding, the creation of digital art, and offering a range of services. This commitment to my work ensures that I remain fully immersed in my own work and services, allowing me to maximize my creative output and maintain a steady workflow. As I work from home, I find myself deeply engrossed in utilizing my digital palette and selecting an array of colors to produce my digital art. There is nothing mentioned in my blog posts about relationships. Please take the time to read. Thank you 

Energetic Canvas

  Energetic Canvas. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney  My attention is firmly directed towards my own endeavors.Rather than dwelling on what has transpired in the past, I choose to channel my energy into the present. This approach allows me to cultivate a mindset that prioritizes my projects ensuring that I remain productive and engaged in my work. I find that my focus is best spent on my own initiatives, rather than being sidetracked. The past holds no sway over my current mindset; instead, I am dedicated to advancing my own goals. By concentrating on the services I provide, I can maintain a clear vision of what I want to achieve and how I can best serve my client. I am committed to nurturing my projects and honing the services I offer, which allows me to create a meaningful impact.

Unity in Motion

  Unity in Motion. Digital art created on canvas. August 14, 2024. Afrika Abney   As I engage in the act of blending, my hands move in a graceful circular motion with creativity. The vibrant colors swirl together, merging seamlessly to form a beautiful spectrum that radiates energy and life. This circular movement not only serves to mix the hues but also embodies a deeper meaning, representing the harmony and unity that can be achieved when diverse elements come together in perfect balance. With each deliberate motion, my hands create a rhythmic circle, a visual representation of the artistic process unfolding before me. This circular pattern is more than just a technique; it symbolizes the interconnectedness of all things. The act of blending becomes a meditative experience as my hands trace a continuous circle, inviting the colors to mingle and transform. Each vibrant hue contributes its unique essence, and together they form a cohesive whole that is both striking and h...

Gentle Rain

  Gentle Rain. Digital art created on canvas. September 28, 2024. Afrika Abney The season of Autumn 2024 commenced just six days ago, and on this rainy Saturday morning, I woke up from my restful sleep a couple of hours ago. The sound of raindrops tapping against the window provided a soothing backdrop as I prepared to embrace the day ahead. This weekend, I have dedicated my time to focusing on my branding and delving into the creation of my digital artwork, both of which are essential components of my creative journey. Have a creative weekend.

Autumnal Expressions

      Autumnal Expressions. Digital art created on canvas. September 29, 2024. Afrika Abney “Autumnal Expressions encapsulate the essence of the fall season, a time when nature undergoes a remarkable transformation. As the days grow shorter and temperatures begin to drop, the landscape is painted in dark brown, deep dark brown, deep red and deep magenta.This seasonal shift not only affects the environment but also evokes a range of emotions and reflections. The beauty of autumnal expressions lies not only in the visual splendor of the season but also in the deeper meanings and emotions it inspires in creativity and productivity.”

Expressive Intersections

Quote found on the Internet Incorporating quotations into my work can serve as a vital source of evidence, enriching my narrative with diverse viewpoints and insights. These excerpts not only substantiate my arguments but also introduce new dimensions to the story I am telling. By weaving in the words of others, I can create a more nuanced and multifaceted exploration of the themes present in my art. The use of quotations allows me to draw upon the wisdom and experiences of various individuals, thereby enhancing the depth of my artistic expression. This practice not only validates my own perspectives but also invites the audience to engage with a broader spectrum of ideas. As I reflect on my artistic journey, these voices can illuminate aspects of my work that may not be immediately apparent, fostering a richer dialogue between the viewer and the art. By integrating these voices into my narrative, I can create a tapestry of thoughts that resonate with my own experiences and artistic i...